Friday, October 31, 2008
mashups
I missed the mashups component of Week 2, so I looked into them. They seem fun enough, but I don't get the point of most of them. Some of the things you can do with Google maps are good though. For example, I'm guessing this Richmond Crime site is a mashup. (Or does someone actually enter every crime? Surely not.) Not sure how the VHS could use this. Maybe some day if we get a lot of extra time and money someone could create a mashup with a map of Virginia and where some of our collections come from. I don't know if that would be practical in a map format, but something where someone could look at a map of Virginia and click on Staunton and see some of our collections from that area. Hmmmm.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
Hey thanks for checking these out; you're a rock star! I guess the point about mashups is that people will sometimes go to these sites to pull images and if we had images in Flickr, there is a chance that we could interest one or two people to checking out our pics (on Flickr or on our website).
In terms of maps, Perhaps we could have visitors to our website had a pushpin to a virtual map indicating where the are. Lots of blogs and podcasters offer this to help identify where their listening base is.
Again, thanks for participating!
Post a Comment